As the 31st of December approaches, a lot of us find ourselves desperately trying to come up with things to do in the new year, or ways to change our lives for the better. A lot of us do this same routine each year, coming up with a list of changes that we want to make, only for them to fall through. But if you’re looking to stay motivated as we enter 2022, here are 20 new year to come quotes to remember.
1. “Celebrate endings – for they precede new beginnings.”
This Jonathan Huie quote will be especially poignant for anyone looking for a fresh start in 2022, or anyone who has lost a lot this year. Losing things and people can suck, but endings are the first step towards new beginnings, just as Huie says. So keep your head up as we enter this whole new year.
2. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
C.S Lewis has written many a golden line in his time, but this beautiful quote really hits home as we reach the end of 2021. Going into another year with the covid pandemic, a lot of us are feeling older than we are. But we must remember that life has a lot left in store for us, and, as Lewis says, we are never to old to set another goal or to dream something wonderfully new.
3. “We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called opportunity and its first chapter is New Year’s Day.”
Edith Lovejoy Pierce came up with this gem, and it’s such a wonderful quote. It is somehow motivating, beautiful, and helps us to see exactly how precious everything we do is. We aren’t just living a life, we’re filling a book. What’ll your story be about?
4. “Many years ago, I made a New Year’s resolution to never make new year’s resolutions. Hell, it’s been the only resolution I’ve ever kept!”
D.S Mixell really hit the nail on the head here. If you find yourself making resolution after resolution and not keeping any of them, maybe it’s time to just stop bothering. That’s not to say you can’t start new things and try to be better in the new year, but if you set yourself strict deadlines or goals and then miss them, you’re setting yourself up for self-hatred and disappointment. Maybe be a bit more chill this year, and just have a few rough ideas rather than “lose 3.5 stone in 2 months”.
5. “Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go. They merely determine where you start.”
Are you worried that you’re not in the place to make changes or to succeed right now? That’s alright. As Nido Qubein says, your circumstances don’t dictate where you can go or what you can do, just where you’re starting from. And as Drake says, we started from the bottom, now we here.
6. “Every time you tear a leaf off a calendar, you present a new place for new ideas.”
Charles Kettering is clearly a hugely optimistic person! And we could all take a leaf out of his book. When you start your new calendar on January 1st 2022, use it as a place for your new ideas, plans and dreams.
7. “New year—a new chapter, new verse, or just the same old story? Ultimately we write it. The choice is ours.”
Are you feeling the pressure of the new year? Sometimes it is all a bit much. The diet ads, everyone making resolutions, articles like this one urging you to remain positive… But ultimately, like Alex Morritt says, whether you want to change up your life, or just carry on pushing for what you’re aiming for right now – the choice is yours.
8. “Whatever it is you’re scared of doing, do it. Make your mistakes next year and forever.”
Neil Gaiman also makes a good point; if you are scared of all this talk of change and new beginnings – that’s okay. Be scared. But do it anyway. A mistake is simply something to learn from.
9. “What the new year brings to you will depend a great deal on what you bring to the new year.”
Vern McLellan wants to remind us that we don’t just get hand outs; whilst the new year does bring with it new opportunities, it also will only bring you the things you strive for. Bring happiness and determination to the new year, and you’ll receive it back.
10. “An optimist stays up until midnight to see the New Year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves.”
A lot of us will be staying up ’til midnight to say a big ‘screw you’ to 2021, like a lot of us did last year. But you must also remember to say hello to 2022. Wish it well, and it might wish you well back. Thanks for the good point, William E. Vaughn.
11. “Every single year, we’re a different person. I don’t think we’re the same person all of our lives.”
Maybe you didn’t like who you were this year. Maybe you feel you need to be stronger, smarter, more sensible. Don’t worry, Stephen Spielberg thinks we’re all renewed each year.