Lockdown, and all it brings with it, makes all of us feel a little down. But if it’s having a serious effect on your mental health, then check out our tips on how to keep positive. Or, if you want professional support, we’ve compiled a list of where to get help during lockdown.


CALM is the Campaign Against Living Miserably. They offer support not just to people who have reached the point of crisis, but to those around people who have lost anyone to mental health. They run regular campaigns like the #DontBottleItUp and The Best Man campaigns. They are also partnered with the TV channel Dave to encourage people to speak out about their mental health.

Phone: 0800 58 58 58 (daily, 5pm to midnight)


They work to provide support and advice to anyone suffering with mental health problems. Their website claims that they will not stop until everyone suffering has access to support. For 50 years now they have worked with communities to help those in need.

Phone: 0300 123 3393 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm)


Every 7 seconds, the Samaritans answer a call to support someone. They work tirelessly, day in and day out, to ensure that fewer people are victims of poor mental health.

Phone: 116 123 (free 24-hour helpline)


Sane was established in 1986, and aim to improve the life of people with mental health problems and those affected by it. They promote awareness, provide care and host research around mental health topics to make sure that everyone gets the support they need.

Textcare: comfort and care via text message, sent when the person needs it most: www.sane.org.uk/textcare

Peer support forum: www.sane.org.uk/supportforum

At university

You can also access mental health support through your university. Most personal tutors will discuss how you’re feeling, or you can talk to professionals.

Bath Spa University 

If you’re a student at Bath Spa, you can access further mental health support through the Student Wellbeing service. You can reach them here:

Email: studentwellbeing@bathspa.ac.uk

Phone: 01225 876543

University of Bath 

With a range of support available, including articles on how to manage your mental health, the University of Bath have your back. You can contact the student support services here:

Email: studentservices@bath.ac.uk

Phone: 01225 383838

University of West England 

If you’re studying at UWE and need some mental health support, be sure to contact their student support, or use their Kooth Student service.

Email: wellbeing@uwe.ac.uk

Phone: 0117 32 86268

University of Bristol 

University of Bristol has a massive range of support available for both mental and physical health. If you need to contact them for mental health support, you can call them on:

Phone: 0117 456 9860

University of Brighton

Students at Uni of Brighton can access their student wellbeing service through calling or emailing them at:

Email: studentservices@brighton.ac.uk

Phone: 01273 642895 (Mon-Thurs 8.30am–5pm, Fri 8.30am–4.30pm)

University of Sussex 

The University of Sussex offer support through email correspondence, or you can access the Sussex County Mental Health Helpline.

Email: studentlifecentre@sussex.ac.uk

Phone: 0300 500 0101

Birmingham City University 

If you are looking for support at Birmingham City University, you can sign up for the Togetherall service, or contact the university directly.

University of Birmingham 

Students at the University of Birmingham can access mental health support by contacting their Wellbeing Officer for their school. They can then support you with whatever issues you may be facing.

University of Cardiff 

For anyone studying in Cardiff, you can access mental health and wellbeing support at:

Email: wellbeingandcounselling@cardiff.ac.uk

Phone: +44 (0)29 2251 8888

University of Coventry 

If you’re at the University of Coventry, you can access the mental health support service through email or phone at:

Email: counsell.ss@coventry.ac.uk

Phone:+44 (0) 24 7765 8029

University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh students can access a whole range of support on the university’s website here.

Heriot-Watt University 

If you’re looking for mental health support whilst studying at Heriot-Watt, then be sure to contact the support services at:

Email: disability@hw.ac.uk

Phone: +44 (0) 131 451 3386

Napier University 

Napier students can access mental health support by contacting the university at:

Email: mentalhealthadviser@napier.ac.uk

University of Glasgow 

Any students needing help at the Uni of Glasgow can access it through the following email and telephone number.

Emai:: studentcounselling@glasgow.ac.uk

Phone: +44 (0) 141 330 4528

Glasgow Caledonian University 

If you’re needing support when studying at Glasgow Caledonian University, contact the wellbeing service at:

Email: studentwellbeing@gcu.ac.uk

University of Leeds 

If you need mental health support whilst at University of Leeds, please contact them at:

Phone: 01133437458

Leeds Beckett University 

Leeds Beckett University offer a range of support services, which you can access through contacting them at:

Email: studentwellbeing@leedsbeckett.ac.uk

Phone: 0113 8128507

University of Leicester 

If you need support from the University of Leicester, then contact them at:

Email: wellbeing@le.ac.uk

Phone: 0116 223 1780

De Montfort University 

For anyone studying at DMU, you can access mental health support at:

Email: wellbeing@dmu.ac.uk

University of Liverpool 

If you’re suffering from poor mental health at the University of Liverpool, then contact their mental health services at:

Email: advice@liverpool.ac.uk

Phone: 0151 795 1000

Imperial College London

Anyone studying at Imperial College London, you can access your mental health support at:

Email: counselling@imperial.ac.uk

King’s College London

If you’re studying at King’s College London and suffering from mental health issues, then contact the university at:

Email: counselling@kcl.ac.uk

University College London

Suffering with mental health whilst studying at UCL? Contact them for support at:

Email: spcs-info@ucl.ac.uk

Phone: 0207 679 1487

The University of Manchester

University of Manchester’s student support services are available to provide you with mental health advice, and they are reachable at:

Email dass@manchester.ac.uk

Phone: +44 (0)161 275 7512

Newcastle University

Newcastle University has a whole range of educated professionals to support you whilst studying. You can contact Mental Health advisor Sarah Brown at: +44 (0) 191 208 3333

University of Nottingham

At the University of Nottingham, you can access the counselling service at:

Tel: 0115 9513695

Or you can speak to your Support and Wellbeing Officer. You can find out who this is here.

Nottingham Trent University

If you’re looking for mental health support at NTU, contact them at: +44 (0)115 848 2085.

University of Sheffield

If you need support at the University of Sheffield, then visit their support website to sign up for help.

Sheffield Hallam University

If you need mental health support at Sheffield Hallam University, then contact the support services at:

Email: student.wellbeing@shu.ac.uk

Phone: 0114 225 2136

University of Oxford

If, whilst studying at Oxford, you need mental health support, email the support services at:

Email: counselling@admin.ox.ac.uk

Oxford Brookes University

Oxford Brookes students can access mental health support at:

Email: wellbeing-recpt@brookes.ac.uk

Phone: 01865 (48)4650

University of Southampton

If you need to access some support whilst studying at the University of Southampton, you can contact them through:

Email: enable@soton.ac.uk

Phone: +44(0)23 80599 599

Southampton Solent University

When you need help whilst studying at Southampton Solent University, you can email the support team at:

Email: therapy.mh@solent.ac.uk

Swansea University

If you need support at Swansea University, you can email them for help at:

Email: wellbeing@swansea.ac.uk