There are so many reasons why someone would want to change universities. It could be that they miss home, their course isn’t that great, or that they just don’t like where they live. Either way, it can be a stressful process, and a hard topic to find advice on since not many people do it. But don’t worry, if you’re in the process of changing, or are just thinking about it, here are some things you need to do with student finance if you change university.

Who should I tell to get things started?

The best person you could ask for advice is your academic tutor, or a lecturer you trust. They should be able to direct you to the right people within your university to get the ball rolling, and it will be much easier than having to find these people for yourself.  You will definitely have to ring student finance to get things sorted as well, but talking to your academic tutor would be a good place to start.

Do I have to tell student finance?

Although it may not seem like that big of an issue, since most universities charge the same, you have to tell student finance if you are changing university. Telling student finance is one of the first things you should do. If you haven’t started your degree yet, then you may be able to do this online, but it’s a good idea to give them a ring, just to be sure.

Will I still get funding?

This one usually depends on your situation. If you are changing university, then the university you are switching to may want you to re-take a year just to make sure you are on the same page as the other students. It depends on what year you are on in your current course, if you are switching to the same course or a different one, and what year the university you are switching to wants you to begin at. It’s fair to say that if you are switching but doing the same course, you will most probably get funding. However, if you are in your final year and wanting to do a different degree and change university, then student finance may not fund you for all of it.

Will I have to pay for the years I have completed?

If you’re switching university, and have already completed one year, then you will still have to pay for that year. However, if you are planning on switching mid-year, this can get tricky. You will still have to pay back every year of university you complete, but switching during the year is more stressful. You’ll have to check with your universities first to see if you can change mid-year, but if they agree, then it’s up to you to ring student finance to see what can be done. You may have to complete the year at your current university before you are allowed to switch. For more advice, go to the government website, or your student finance provider.

Do I have to change my student finance provider?

Luckily, if you are changing university, you won’t have to change your student finance provider. So, if you are a student in Wales and are currently using Student Finance Wales, you won’t have to use Student Finance England or Scotland for example if you are planning on switching to a university in those countries. That’s one less stressful thing you will have to sort out!

We hope this has helped you if you are thinking of switching universities! If you’re thinking to switch universities out of worry about failing your current course, read our useful guide about what happens if you fail your first year.

Or, if you’re looking for a more light-hearted article, then read the best brands for student discounts, according to research!

Last Updated on December 21, 2022