Exercising with other people has many benefits, from added motivation to gaining new friends! There are so many different exercises you can do, however, running is one of the best ones. It’s a good source of cardio, and it’s free to start! Although it can feel a bit off-putting if you’re not used to running, joining a running club means you’re not doing it alone! So here’s our list of the best running clubs in Manchester that’ll keep you fit whilst meeting new people.
Based in the city centre, the Manchester Road Runners meet every Wednesday at 6:30 pm to go for a run. There’s a 3k, 5k, 7k or 10K option with run guides, so no matter your skill level you can join! You also get to go to the pub for a drink and chat afterwards. It’s free to join, and thanks to the different skill levels so there’s no reason not to try this Manchester running club even if you’re a complete beginner!
- Manchester Road Runners meet on Wednesdays at The Wharf in Castlefield at 6:30 pm, with the run starting at 6:45 pm.
Also appealing to all levels of runners, Chorlton Runners is one of the largest running clubs in Manchester. They have a range of events and run every Tuesday, Friday and Sunday, so they’re available all week. They also offer many different social events so if you want to go for a run and grab a pint, this is the perfect club for you.
- On Tuesday, the Chorlton Runners meet at the Bowling Green, suitable for different speeds and lengths.
- On Fridays, they meet to do track at Longford Park Stadium at 6:30 pm.
- On Sundays, they meet for their Sunday morning run at Chorlton Water park.
If you’re looking for a more traditional running club, then Manchester Harries and Athletics is for you. Specialising in cross country, track and field and road running, there’s plenty of running options to try. With training included, there are classes for all abilities so you don’t have to be scared if you’re a beginner too! They have a membership fee of £36, but this covers the full year!
- All training courses take place at: Wythenshawe Park Athletics Track, Wythenshawe Road, Manchester, M23 0AB.
The Didsbury Running Club offers a variety of running programmes, mainly based in the South Manchester area. They do lots of different courses such as Couch to 5k, so you can achieve your fitness goals. They run every Monday and Wednesday, doing road running and track. The joining fee is only £12.50 (and they’ll knock £5 if you join between January and March)!
- The Didsbury Running Club meet on Mondays at 6:30 pm (running starting at 6:45 pm) at the Didsbury Sports Ground on Fort Lane.
- They have a track session on a Wednesday at Longford Park Stadium from 6:45 pm to 7:45 pm.
As Manchester’s only LGBTQ+ running club, Manchester Frontrunners pride themselves on being inclusive. On your first run, someone will come along with you, and they’ll go at a pace that suits you. They run in the city centre, in Chorlton and on a track at the Etihad Campus, so you can choose what suits your comfort. The membership is £36 for the year, and you can get access to loads of benefits such as money off on running brands.
- On Tuesday Night, Manchester Frontrunners do a track training session at Etihad Campus, from 6:45 pm.
- They have a run session on Thursdays in the City Centre, starting at Sugden Sports Centre on Grovsner Street, from 7 pm.
- They have a Saturday morning run, they start at Longford Park Stadium and then go for brunch afterwards, from 10 am.
So whether you’re a beginner or pro, why not try one of the best running clubs in Manchester to run alongside some friendly faces! And after your workout, why celebrate with your running pals and head to one of Manchester’s best places to get some cheap drinks.
A student at Manchester Metropolitan University.